Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 25/365 It’s time to go, chewed paper.

-->
      What? Chewed paper? Is the that best you can do?
      Yes it is. All I could let go of were the little pieces of paper chewed on by mice through the years. And no, I didn’t take a picture.
       However, here’s a sampling of the papers that I sorted through, dusted, read and placed in a new plastic storage box.


       If you were fortunate enough to grow up in New York City back in the ‘50s, you would have been rooting for either the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Yankees or Giants. What more can I say? I lived in Brooklyn for my first two years of my life, and my grandmother, aunts and uncles and cousins continued to live there during those exciting baseball years.
 
       
 

















Then there were the playbills and picture programs from Broadway shows. Here’s just a sampling: Jean Arthur as Peter Pan; Gertrude Lawrence and Yul Brynner in The King and I.

       Finally, the newspapers! My parents, sister and I were passengers on the last voyage of the Andrea Doria. She left us in Genoa, Italy and on the return trip she sank. I remember standing on the steps of the Duomo in Florence when we heard the news. 
 

      Three years earlier Elizabeth II was crowned in Westminster Abbey.
 
      About ten years later John Fitzgerald Kennedy was inaugurated President on the steps of the capitol building in Washington D.C..
                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment