Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 14/365 It’s time to go, kitchen table


     This is a no brainer although my husband did wonder if someone from the put-and-take might want it. But no, it will be the first item to go into the soon-to-arrive dumpster.

      I feel a great deal of nostalgia for this, our first kitchen table. We purchased it for $50 and it served us well in the first house we owned when our children were little. During those eleven years an assortment of highchairs, booster chairs and grownup chairs were pushed up to it. When we moved to this house the table ended up in the barn, but truth be told, I have no idea how it got into this current state.
      Speaking of high chairs, here’s one that I am not ready to let go of.

It has been in the family for a loooong time. My two cousins used it in Brooklyn before it was sent out to my childhood home in Connecticut. There the four of us, spanning ten years, learned to feed ourselves. As time moved on, the highchair was always waiting when we brought our children to visit Grammy and Papa. Finally, when Mom moved out of the house, the chair was bequeathed to us in Massachusetts just in time for our grandchildren.
      What you see here is my husband’s refinishing job. I recall when the chair was yellow and then green, but I have no idea of its original color. One more thing about this family heirloom. Folded down it transforms into a potty chair. Thank goodness I never remember that happening. However, that such a thing was a built-in possibility gives an idea of how old it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment