Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 7/365 It’s time to go, junk in the cellar


  

     Yesterday was a much more productive day as far as getting rid of stuff, but not nearly as much fun as giving away a teddy bear. But this isn’t about fun, I keep telling myself, although I am having more fun than I ever thought possible. Anyway, it was time for the junk in the cellar to go. 




Our fieldstone cellar is pretty empty except for the furnace and an old washer and dryer. I thought the place was clear but my husband reminded me of a shelf of treasures collecting dirt (yes, dirt, not dust).




       More plates and dishes. I considered keeping the yellow plastic plates (by Heller) from the ‘70s, until I remembered that this isn’t about nostalgia. So along with some other dishes and platters (all of which received a quick wash) I divvied everything up between two bags, one for the put-and-take, the other labeled for the church fair.
       But what were all those boxes of Glad bags doing down there? Years ago, before BJ’s and Cosco, I ordered by bulk from Hills Food Service, which came to the house and filled my freezer and pantry. You can imagine my embarrassment when they brought a box of 50 rolls of toilet paper—but of course it proved a useful purchase. Well, saver that I am, I didn’t even examine the glad bags. Good for me.To the dump they go. 


      You may have notice the dehumidifier. It will be loaded into the dumpster that we are planning to get dumped in our driveway come September. Of course, first we will see if it still works. Ah, then another decision, but why throw away a good humidifier just because of a little rust? Um, which makes me wonder if that washer and drying still works!


No comments:

Post a Comment