Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 106 /365 it’s time to go, a trip to the store

-->
    I don’t think I’m stretching anything here. The bottom line is that I made a skewer for my turkey, so instead of accumulating more stuff, not to mention the cost and trip to the store, I’m way ahead of the game.
    Thanksgiving morning I couldn’t find the one, lone skewer that had been my mom’s forever. That was sad enough. But the stores weren’t open at 6 AM, and anyway, a new set of poultry skewers was just not in my budget nor did it fit with my new commitment to sustainability. No problem: my husband cut a piece of hanger just the right length and the turkey was delicious. 


    In case you’re interested, here’s my sustainability thinking, a la stream-of-consciousness. I think I need  a skewer; I buy a set, probably four because you can’t just purchase one. Because of my purchase the world out there thinks that skewers are in demand so it manufactures hundreds, no more like thousands, but undoubtedly more than the world needs for the next 100 years. The sets end up at places like Job Lot and the Dollar Store; people (like me) who don’t need them buy them—I mean, who can resist a bargain? Some sets fall on the floor, get swept up and taken to the dump. So, I say, use what you have; we sure have plenty of hangers, and I bet you do to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment