Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 5/365 It’s time to go, World Book Encyclopedia


    Yesterday evening we received our first 911 call about the stuff we’re letting go of. “My husband wants the books,” reported our daughter.



     I dashed him off an email (I don’t text): “What are you going to do with them?”
      “I’m going to read them.”
    What a dumb question and what a sensible answer. Looking around at all the books in this house, I wondered if somewhere along the way I had missed the point. Of course some of information in these 24 volumes will be obsolete, but that’s what makes them such informative treasures. For example, frozen in time on the pages of Volume A is a map of Africa.

      We bought these World Books in 1973-- for the intellectual development of our kids, you understand. I don’t remember them being used, but our kids do. After they went off to college, I don’t recall a time when even one volume was taken off the shelf. Computers had come along and since they don’t need shelf space, the books remained stuck on display.
    I’m glad that these encyclopedias are going to the home of someone who wants them. When my daughter and son-in-law are ready to let go of stuff, they will have to deal. We won’t want them back, I promise—nor will we take them. We have a ‘no returns’ policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment